[RTTY] Number of Partipants in RTTY Contests

W6OTC w6otc@garlic.com
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 04:15:53 +0000

The largest participation, by far, measured by contacts made is in CQWW
(Sept), the second largest in CQ/RJ WPX (Feb), the third is RU.  Look at the
number of QSO's.  The top single op in CQWW is in the high 2000 QSO's. the
multi's are at 4000+ QSO's.  The numbers in WPX are 500 QSO's or so less
than in CQWW and the numbers in RU are lower.  These are the top 3 contests.

In terms of logs submitted, 2001 CQ/RJ WPX had 715 which, so far as I can
tell, is more than any other RTTY contest until then; however, I can report
that logs submitted in 2001 CQWW have significantly exceeded the 2001 WPX
submissions.  Details will be published in May CQ Magazine and The New RTTY
Journal.  I expect the participation next month in WPX will be BIG.  Results
for WPX will probably be published in July or August CQ and The New RTTY
Journal.  My only info re ARRL RU logs is the published results in QST and
they seem to be in the low 600's which again is far and away higher than
whichever contest is in 4th place.  There are many excellent RTTY contests
run throughout the year but the biggest participation, whether measured by
contacts or logs submitted, is in these three events.

There has been a big increase in RTTY contesting since 1998 when conditions
in this Solar Cycle started to get really good and many new participants
started experimenting with simple and often free software TNC's.  Most
records have been broken, often repeatedly, other than those for single band
80m and 40m.  I am sure the low band records will be exceeded in the next
few years as the solar flux decreases and the number of participants
continues to increase.

Glenn, W6OTC
Contest Director, CQWW RTTY, CQ/RJ WPX