[RTTY] Finding a new multiplier in the RU

Jim Johnson jim@kc4hw.net
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:31:51 -0500

For those of you that thought this was nonsense, I have quoted AA5AU
email to me on this subject.  Guess he thought differently.

I ask the question to N1ND, the ARRL Contest Manager and his anwser
is enclosed below.

On 16 Jan 02, at 8:10, Henderson, Dan N1ND wrote:

> Hi Jim:
>
> Rule 2.1.1. in the "General Rules for ARRL Contests on Bands Below
30 MHz
> (HF)" reads:
>
> [For Single Operator] "Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating
> arrangements involving other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet,
> internet, etc) is not permitted"
>
> The case which you cite is not considered to be a formal operating
> arrangement.  Frequently contesters ask "have you seen such and such
> multiplier" when working another station.  It is also common during a
> contact with a friend made during the contest for one to tell the other "I
> just worked such and such a station about 10 KHz up a little while ago."
> This does not make the station assisted, as it is not a formal operating
> arrangement.  However, if stations combined their efforts  to share
> multiplier information frequently during a contest (two stations arranging
> to meet ever hour to share info) that would constitute assistance.
>
> Thanks and 73
>
> Dan Henderson, N1ND
> ARRL Contest Branch Manager

Well for those of you that thought that it was acceptable, the you were
right!  For those of us that either did not know or thought otherwise, well
we learned something new.