[RTTY] RE: the best SOUNDCARD one? [NEW]

tgstewart@pepco.com tgstewart@pepco.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:38:41 -0500

I think RITTY is still the best of the soundcard TNC's for contest work,
although I cant vouch for it's functionality with Windows programs.  The
user interface and the interface between the front end (RITTY) and the
logging software are crucial for smooth operation.  If you can get the
hardware to work, WF1B's RTTY software with RITTY 4.5 is still my choice
for running up to 2 computers networked. They work great together.  Any
larger than that and WF1B seems to have problems.

MMTTY is a VERY good Windows based soundcard front end and it's free!  The
bad part about it is that it requires even more tweaking than RITTY to get
working optimally for contest work and it's interface into Writelog could
use some work last time I tried it (about 6 months ago).  It also requires
more computer power.  However, it works with just about any sound card so
it's easy to get going on all machines.

Writelog is still better for GUI/mouse operators than keyboardists.  It's
more powerful than WF1B's software when you get into networking, packet,
super-checking partials, etc.,.

I'm a keyboard-based operator and usually Single-Op/2 radio so my
preference is for WF1B and RITTY.

If I wasnt so swift on the keyboard, I needed a large network, advanced
packet,, or multiop, my choice would no doubt be Writelog with MMTTY as
the front end.

Lastly to answer your question directly, I think RITTY and MMTTY are about
on par with each other when tweaked properly on the soft settings.  I dont
think I'd go out of my way to run RITTY with Writelog when MMTTY is easier
to get running and it's freeware.  I havent done a lot of testing head to
head on the front end's but I couldnt tell much difference when I did.  I
also cant comment too much about their performance against the latest
hardware boxes because I havent used one in several years.  However, I've
never used anything that worked better.

....just my 2 cents worth

73, Ty  K3MM

"Vic Gauvin" <vgauvin@nortelnetworks.com>