[RTTY] Ports and IRQ's

Phil Cooper Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 18:42:58 +0100

Hi all,

Oh boy, That was a lot of answers!

I am intrigued by the fact that some of you seem to have shared IRQ's for
your COM ports, and/or your soundcards.
When I started adding stuff to the new shack PC, it too allocated the same
IRQ's to COM1/3 and COM2/4, but when I tried using that, I kept getting
error messages,mostly telling me that the port could not be opened.

I have the cluster on COM1, which obviously (I assume) needs a unique IRQ,
PTT for various programs is via COM2, which again, I assume needs a unique
IRQ, and then there is rig control, which I don't think actually SENDS data
(in my case) TO the rig, but simply reads the frequency.

One thing I found with my extra COM ports was that when I changed the IRQ
from 4, and gave it a different one, I had to go into the
settings/resources, and then untick USE AUTOMATIC SETTINGS. I could then
select a suitable SETTINGS BASED ON a configuration, which then allowed it
all to work.

It is very interesting to note that John WA9ALS has both soundcards on the
same IRQ! I wonder how that handles both soundcards without an error
message?

I guess some of this is down to the basic configuration, and also the
ability of the BIOS in some cases.

Overall, it looks as though I now have to find a PCI card with multiple COM
ports, and go from there.

Many thanks to all for a very interesting thread, as I seem to have learned
a few things!

Thanks to all who responded, both to the reflector, and to

Vy 73 for now
Phil GU0SUP