[RTTY] Re: [WriteLog] FT1000MP MkV & FSK

wa9als wa9als@starband.net
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:11:23 -0500

> This looks cut and dried, but the fella is telling me the carrier does not
> shift in frequency.  Is there something he's not setting?

A common mistake here is to have the front panel PKT button depressed.  In
this case, PTT will key, but there is no Baudot input to the PACKET
connector, so it just sits there with a constant tone.  He needs to be sure
that the RTTY button is depressed.

Similarly, if you want to run AFSK RTTY (I don't know why you would with
this rig), be sure you have the PKT button depressed.  It might not seem
intuitive at first, but that's the way it works - PKT selects input from the
PACKET connector, and RTTY selects input (FSK on SHIFT PIN) from the RTTY
connector.

If my memory serves right, in contrast to the 1000MP (not MARK-5), you can't
use narrow filters in PKT (AFSK) mode - only in RTTY!  I couldn't believe
it!  Very weird that they changed that in the MARK-V.  73