[RTTY] Results of the 2002 RTTY Roundup on ARRL Web.....

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:21:35 -0500

> This year 572 logs were received down from 691 in 2001 but please
> remember the NFL playoffs were that weekend.  I think this comment is
> most telling about where this contest is going: "The top three finishers
> in the 2002 Roundup Multi-Single had more QSO's than did the top
> Multi-Single CW SS teams."

I think the NFL playoffs had something to do with it, but band condx were
not nearly as good Sunday as they were in 2001 when we have "super conditions"
as I recall.  Condx were very good on Saturday, but Sunday was not good.
When I went to bed Saturday night, I was only behind my 2001 pace by
16 QSO's despite fighting through heavy noise generated by numerous
thunderstorms passing though.

This year, the K index jumped from 0 to 3 on Sunday and shut
down the path from the USA to EU for the most part on 10 and 15 meters.
So with the combination of NFL playoffs and poor condx on Sunday,
for the first time ever in a Roundup, Sunday was a bust with little new
stations to work in the last few hours of the contest.

I always like to compare my Roundup logs year-to-year.  In 2000 & 2001,
10 & 15 meters were the top bands.  This year, the top bands were 15 and 20
meters.  I will predict that 15 & 20 will be the best bands again this year,
but 20 may be better next year as 15 was better this year.

In years of low sun activity, 40 meters will be the best band.  In one RU,
I had 400 QSO's on 40 meters alone.  So as we lose 10 & eventually 15
meters, we will move to lower bands and we may lose participation unless
we push to gain new operators.

It's a great contest.  Looking forward to 2003.

73, Don AA5AU
See "Getting Started on RTTY" at www.aa5au.com/rtty