[RTTY] SIIG JU-CS0012 USB adapter

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:30:04 -0500

Is anyone using one of these USB to serial adapters?  I just
found out that this USB to DB-25 female serial adapter uses
the 16550 UART.  If this is the case, it is very possible this
adapter would work for 5-bit RTTY transmission when keying
FSK since the 16550 supports 5-bit characters, 1.5 & 2 stop bits,
and will run as low as 45 baud.  I suppose it depends on how
SIIG has it configured.

The JU-CS0012 is available for sale, but it is not shown on the
SIIG website so I wondered if it had been discontinued.  I called
SIIG and inquired about the JU-CS0012 and they confirmed that
it has been discontinued.  And could offer no insight as to it's
support of 5-bit code.

There are a few of them still floating around the Internet for sale.
I would first like to find someone who owns one, then would like
to find if anyone is using it for transmit FSK.

Eventually, we may find the serial port disappear from newer PC's
and the only answer may be using USB to Serial adapters.  Some
notebooks already come with no standard COM port.

By the way, drivers for Win98, ME, 2000 & XP are available from
the SIIG website for the JU-CS0012.  The going cost for the unit
itself is around $60.

Any help on this appreciated.  I've updated the USB-to Serial adapter
page on my website yesterday www.aa5au.com/usb.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.geocities.com/writelog