[RTTY] DJ3IW and NAQP (long)

DJ3IW Goetz dj3iw@t-online.de
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:17:09 -0000

Well, since others posted their "results", here is my
"achievement". I intended to make as many QSOs as possible.
Finding 15m almost without NA stations at start time, 20m
seemed not to be open yet, I quit and joined the XYL watching TV.
Later (it must have been after the X-flare hit) I tried again
and could make some NA QSOs. I did not wait for 40 to open but went
to bed instead.
So here is the result:

NA QSO Party
Call used: DJ3IW
Entry Class: Single Op, All Band

Band    QSOs   Pts   QTH    DX
80         0     0     0     0
40         0     0     0     0
20        30    29    21     0
15         2     2     2     0
10         0     0     0     0
--------------------------------
Total     32    31    23     0
--------------------------------
Claimed Score: 713

Software: RTTY by WF1B  v5.02
Power Output: 75
Club Participation: None
Equipment used: Optibeam OB7-3 Yagi (similar to Force12 C3), FT1000MP
loaded with all standard filters, 2x500Hz or 2x250Hz for RTTY,
HAL PCI-3000 and SCS PTC-II in parallel.
Not used in this NAQP: Henry 2K Classic amplifier at abt 500-600W out.

Here comes a maybe "provocative" comment or question:
One way propagation or what?
As in many other RTTY contests I noted the phenomenon of what seems
to be "one way propagation". It manifests itself as follows. With my
equipment as described above and the help of my amp where allowed,
I receive NA signals with decent strength, print is mostly without errors.
Calling these stations for a contest QSO yields no result. They just keep
calling CQ...
Given the "level playing field" of 100W max power in NAQP I feel that
those stations I can copy without problems should although be able
to copy my signals. But again I experienced several cases of this
peculiar type of "one way propagation".

Possible causes?
1) QRM at their end? But they keep calling CQ on and on.
2) Their receive capabilities are not on par with their TX power
   (Chen mentioned 25kW) and multielement stacked Yagis at great height?
3) These stations are just not interested in a non-NA(USA) contact?

I really would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks to all of you who worked me, even despite marginal signals in
some cases!

73 de Goetz
dj3iw@t-online.de