[RTTY] ARRL.org Vote -

Dave, AA6YQ dhb@attbi.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 19:09:51 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-admin@contesting.com [mailto:rtty-admin@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Dave Barr RDS Inc
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 15:40 PM
To: Kok Chen
Cc: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL.org Vote -

Kok Chen wrote:

> It is their own bloody fault for not using narrow filters, opting
> instead for the armchair-like operation of clicking on barn
> door-wide waterfalls.
>

> Chen, W7AY

I do run qrp a lot (on RTTY mostly) Chen, but I agree with you.

When I mentioned as reasons for PSK's popularity free software,  not
having to buy a TNC and ease of operation a couple of days ago, a few
folks wrote back that MMTTY also met those parameters.   Well, I'll
grant that the first two items meet those claims, but MMTTY just isn't
as easy as digipan.  It's just push an arrow key and type.  It's not
much more difficult than screwing in the microphone connector and
opening your mouth.  Hence, PSK is quite popular especially for those
new to digital.  I am afraid that ease of operation is a prerequisite
nowadays for any Amateur Radio activity that will garner better than 1
our of 10 participation.

But it is good to have participation, and the two modes seem to satisfy
somewhat different areas of activity - ragchewing and casual DXing vs.
contesting and viscious pile-ups.

As for getting ready for PSK to be the only digital mode that some
country-entities are available on: well, if they're rare, the PSK rate
will be dismal compared to RTTY, where your brain can still provide some
of the flow of what's really going on.

73
Dave
K2YG