[RTTY] DAYTON 2002, CQ/RJ WW RTTY DX Results

Joe Wittmer jwittmer@halcomm.com
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 16:53:33 -0500

Hi Group,

I hope everyone that attended Dayton this year had a good time. As I am
sure you have already heard... the RTTY forum was great. Moderated by Frank
Fallon, N2FF, Don Hill AA5AU, Tyler Stewert K3MM, Gerry Jankowitz NO2T, and
John Fleming WA9ALS whom gave a excellent presentations on SO2R. Many
thought that Frank was going to have his hands full over a controversial
topic such as SO2R. However, Frank set the pace early and the crowd was
very interested in learning from these four. In case you have not heard,
Bill Henry K9GWT did quite a bit of early 'leg' work to get the forum moved
to a decent time slot. Great work by all involved to get that done - right.

The next biggest event was the RTTY Journal dinner. This was the 25th
Anniversary of the RTTY Gathering. From many of the group is was coined
'The Best Yet'. Doug Faunt N6TQS did a fantastic job. We will all remember
in our own way - CRABS! The food was fantastic and while we were cozy we
had a nice gathering (over booked the room).There were many new people who
look forward to next year. Also, there were 4 father/son father/daughter
combinations. There were a few special certificates given in recognition
and in FUN. Many plaques that were sponsored were presented - and
regretably 'yours truely' made some mistakes and errors in those presentions.

Other notable events were the evening hosptality suites. This was a lot of
fun! How we get to meet our peers and rub elbows with the RTTY big guns. I
was especially fond of several evening chats and got to better know RTTY
friends. It is amazing at how when you get a group together... you talk
about RTTY for a while and then move onto other topics and interests. I
heard good stories of working small signals through big oaks, and neet
looking antenna 'cones of protection'. But, then I heard some really good
stories of fishing trips and family gatherings. To paraphrase a recent
note from a friend... "the social aspect of the gathering is worth coming
each year". The RTTY guys (yes YOU) are a special group.

Lastly, I wish to say thank you to two friends Bill Henry, K9GWT and Dale
Sinner W6IWO who really have known the RTTY Journal as a labor of love.

Ok... so onto the contest results. The RTTY Journal has posted results from
many of the contests for some time now. Actually, we enjoy posting results
from any of the RTTY contests - or a link to the official results. We also
post rules and high score lists. Eddie Schneider W6/G0AZT has been
overwhelmingly generous in his time given in providing or tracking down
most of this information. There is more on the website - with thanks to
Eddie and Roy Maull N8YYS for his work as well.

The CQ/RJ WW RTTY DX contest - the results for the Fall CQ/RJ WW RTTY
contest are now on the rttyjournal website (www.rttyjournal.com).

The CQ/RJ WPX contest - Glenn Vinson W6OTC and Eddie work very hard to get
the results expedited for the WPX contest and both do a fantastic job. I
offer them Many Thanks on behalf of the RTTY Journal for the work they have
done in both contests and hope that is enough.

I look forward to seeing you all on the screen!

Take Care es 73
Joe Wittmer KB9SIZ (waiting for K9SZ)