[RTTY] Past and future activities from Western Africa by VE2XO

François Normant francois.normant@afribone.net
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 20:24:37 -0400

Hello everybody,

While doing some Web search on Google, I discovered
the RTTY list. I read the archives and found several very
kind postings regarding my last operation on RTTY as
3XY8A. So I decided to subscribe.

First of all I'd like to thank Randy WX5L. I might have
learn pretty fast how to operate on RTTY (Obelix fall in
the magic potion when he was young, I fall in "computer
potion" when I was 16, that's 20 years ago...) but Randy
has been and still is a very good and dedicated teacher.
He also provided me with RTTY gear that, if even I did not
use it after all, convinced me to try RTTY. Again, all of us
should thank him.

Second of all, I'd like to thank Mako, JE3HHT, for his
amazing MMTTY software. It is very easy to use and also
very user friendly and very efficient. I would have never
managed to learn how to operate RTTY efficiently so fast
without his software.

And last but no least, even if my first experience was
really bad (some of you remember the list Randy set
up), I was amazed how RTTY DXers are nice, disciplined
and generous. Several of you even made me suggestions
to improve my operation. This definitely convinced me to use
RTTY as my main mode of operation from now.

OK, now the scoops.

I announced yesterday my upcoming activity from 5V
at the end of August. I think a copy of the annoucement
was already posted on the list. I'll try to go in TY but not
sure. However, as Don mentionned, Flo F5CWU and his
team will go there for one month during Summer time.

I'll be back again in 3X at the end of September. For
those who missed me in April, this will be a new opportunity.
Again focus will be put on RTTY (at least 50% of QSOs).
Keep posted.

And at the end of December / beginning of January, I'll be
in 6W (waiting for the callsing) and in TZ (TZ6XO). This will
be confirmed later, probably in November.

For 3C0, there is really little hope I go there. I go where
my job brings me (for those who are curious I am in the IT
training and ISP business) and it only brings to to French
speaking countries in Western Africa.

And a final suggestion, I noticed that for lots of lists on
lists.contesting.com there is a FAQ but not for the RTTY list.
I searched a lot on the Web before starting on RTTY but did
not find anything really usefull, especially for a DXpedition
operator. That would be really a good way to promote RTTY
activity for DXpeditionners.

73 de Francois, VE2XO aka 3XY6A, 3XY8A, 5V7XO, TZ6XO.
francois@ve2xo.com

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---