[RTTY] RTTY operation in ARRL's Field Day exercise?

k2yg@verizon.net k2yg@verizon.net
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 8:42:37 -0500

N2XJ, NNJ, running as 2A QRP only, had a limited amount of time on digital modes.  We had about 30 or so RTTY Qs and about 12 with PSK31.  The activity on PSK was much greater than RTTY, although I find PSK to be much less efficient for contesting than RTTY.  (W2UP may have a comment on that.)  There was a fairly high percentage of "D" category (home - commercial mains) stations compared to CW and SSB.  In hind sight, even though we were running QRP, we probably should have included our 2A category and called CQ a lot, since D to D contacts are not allowed in FD.

Sharing a station with SSB, we did not have a lot of time, but we did work every RTTY station we heard.  Totals for CW/SSB/Digital were about 750 Qs, not bad for
QRP and wire antennas.  We should encourage more RTTY activity, and try to get the PSKers over to RTTY for FD.

73
Dave, K2YG
New Providence ARC - N2XJ/qrp