[RTTY] RTTY operation in ARRL's Field Day exercise?

Dave W7DPW w7dpw@attbi.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:58:41 -0700

I was at home and listened several time periods on 20 meters and worked 11
RTTY FD stations from 06-22-2002 1854 -  06-23-2002 0239. from following
sections: OH, NNJ, GA, ID, LAX, LA, MO, TN, WCF, AL, WI.

I also worked SV1FJA on 14.077 at 0218Z who was CQing away.

I am operate RTTY for my club next year.

Dave W7DPW

----- Original Message -----
From: <k2yg@verizon.net>
To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 6:42 AM
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY operation in ARRL's Field Day exercise?

> N2XJ, NNJ, running as 2A QRP only, had a limited amount of time on digital
modes.  We had about 30 or so RTTY Qs and about 12 with PSK31.  The activity
on PSK was much greater than RTTY, although I find PSK to be much less
efficient for contesting than RTTY.  (W2UP may have a comment on that.)
There was a fairly high percentage of "D" category (home - commercial mains)
stations compared to CW and SSB.  In hind sight, even though we were running
QRP, we probably should have included our 2A category and called CQ a lot,
since D to D contacts are not allowed in FD.

> Sharing a station with SSB, we did not have a lot of time, but we did work
every RTTY station we heard.  Totals for CW/SSB/Digital were about 750 Qs,
not bad for
> QRP and wire antennas.  We should encourage more RTTY activity, and try to
get the PSKers over to RTTY for FD.