[RTTY] Ritty notebook compatibility results tabulated

Walt Niemczura walt@hawaii.rr.com
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:01:02 -1000

Bill Turner wrote:

<snip>

> Have you tried the Windows version of RITTY called WITTY?  Brian created
> it a few years ago especially for Windows users.  It works here under
> Win98.
>
> Bill, W7TI

I've look at this problem many time. I seem to be the one locally that is
tasked with figuring out how to get RTTY with RITTY/MMTTY running on
different computers.

On the laptops I told Ron that run RITTY (IBM TP 755/760, Dells, Toshiba's)
it runs in both DOS and Windows 9X with RITTY and WITTY. I'm not positive
but I think that WITTY is just a tiny DOS shell that has a socket into a
Windows App.

It's the sound card interface that makes the difference. These older computers
use Sound Blaster compatible interfaces. They all have a DMA channel assigned
to the audio interface. On my newer Sony Viao FX-240 it is a PCI like audio
interface without any access to a DMA channel. RITTY (or WITTY) start but
there is no input to the software.

RITTY is my program of choice for sound card RTTY. I find it better than
ANYTHING available.  However, it is obvious that I'll be restricted in it's
use if I ever upgrade the shack computer and on the Sony I'm forced to use
MMTTY or an external TNC.

If Brian had the time and inclination to look into supporting the PCI type
interface I'd buy a full version in a second. However, I doubt that the
commitment on one individual (or a dozen, or 50) would make it worth the
effort. It's a bit of work I'm sure. It's up to the author to decide if
it's worth it.

73 and Aloha,

Walt
AH6OZ