[RTTY] For Sale - ST-8000 HF RTTY Modem & other Equipment

Hill, Don dhill@cprk.com
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:29:59 -0600

Bob, my reply to you direct bounced (twice).  Anyone else having
this problem?

Thanks,
Don AA5AU @ work

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Boyd [mailto:w1vxv@adelphia.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 2:21 PM
To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] For Sale - ST-8000 HF RTTY Modem & other Equipment

If anyone had asked me a year ago if I'd be willing to sell my trusty
HAL ST-8000 I would probably asked them if they were nuts!  However
things can change rapidly in a year or so, and that is the case here.  I
am now VERY busy trying to get a home-based business off the ground;
anyone who has done this will tell you that there are not enough hours
in the day, and that is certainly true in my case.  I am determined to
make a success of it however, but that means that ham radio and other
things of lesser importance must be dropped for the time being.  I
anticipate that it will be two years or so before I have time once again
for ham radio and RTTY.  In the meantime I need to raise some cash and
gain the space occupied by the ham station.

In December of 1997 I purchased a HAL ST-8000 HF RTTY modem from a W6
who had acquired a batch of UNUSED units that had been scheduled to go
to the mid-East for use in Operation Desert Storm.  These units did NOT
see service there; mine was still in the original factory box and it was
shipped to me with both operation manual and service manual.  This unit
is serial 321 and it passed the military acceptance test on 1/23/81.
This unit sold for $3995 from HAL when I last looked.  Go to
www.halcomm.com to view the specifications.  This unit had the latest
firmware installed by HAL in 1998.

Cosmetically it is a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10; no scratches on the front
panel, but a few minor scratches on the top cover.  This ST-8000 has
performed flawlessly for me since its purchase and I've QSO'd every DX
RTTY station that I've gone after, and I've done real well in the
contests too when my j-o-b permitted me to be home.  Many of the leading
contesters and DXers use one of these modems.

This ST-8000 can be yours for the same price which I paid for it: $700
plus insured UPS shipping for about 25 pounds in the original
double-boxes.

- -

Also available:

HENRY 2KD-2 amplifier with extra 3-400Z tube.  This was purchased from
HENRY RADIO on 5/8/2001 where it had been traded for a new amp.  It was
carefully checked by the HENRY technicians prior to shipping to me. Most
of my contacts were made "barefoot" but this unit gave some assist in
the pileups last year.  VERY clean condition; it works FB and is yours
for $500.  It can be picked up or will be shipped to you via air freight
anywhere in the 48 states for $75.  With manual.

- -

Vibroplex IAMBIC-B brass racer with triangular wood base; like brand
new.  Never run above 30 wpm!  <big grin>  yours for $50 shipped
postpaid; HRO price is $89.95.

- -

HYGAIN CD-45-II rotator, rebuilt by HyGain in 1994, and modified by me
to use the Idion Press ROTOR-EZ RS-232 computer control.  Still in use
and working fine.  Make me an offer.

- -

GAP Voyager DX vertical antenna.  4-bands (160-80-40-20 meters)  Stands
45 feet tall and requires two sets of guy ropes and counterpoise wires.
Still in use here.  Make me an offer and pick it up after trying it out.

- -

Cushcraft A3S tribander beam AND fifty feet of ROHN 25 (4 straight and 1
top sewction).  Some corrosion but structurally very sound (I weigh 225
and don't hesitate to climb it).  Still in the air.  Pick-up only in
Kennebunkport, MAINE.  Make me an offer.

Thanks,  Bob Boyd - NT1V, ex-W1VXV

Telephone 207-967-8143