[RTTY] Implications of remote control

Bill Turner w7ti@dslextreme.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:48:44 -0800

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:33:49 -0000, Mobile Workshop wrote:

>Well, the technology certainly exists for what you describe right now, but
>the question I have to ask is WHY?
<snip>

Thanks for your response, Phil.

I can see two major reasons why:

1.  Cost.  One will no longer have to have his own equipment.  No
transceiver, no antenna, nothing but a computer.  We're talking serious
money savings here.

2.  This is one way around restrictive covenants.  No antennas allowed
where you live?  No problem.  Operate somewhere else.

The major drawback (for me) would be the lack of hands-on station
building.  I like having my equipment in front of me - installing it,
tinkering with it, etc, etc.  With internet-based stations, all that
would be gone.

On the other hand, it would be a great way to try out different rigs.
Log on to one site with a FT-1000D, another with an IC-756Pro and
compare them.  Use one site running barefoot, another with an autotune
amplifier.  One with a dipole, another with a six-element monobander.
The possibilities are endless.

Scares me just thinking about it...  <g>

73, Bill W7TI