[RTTY] Implications of remote control

Ekki Plicht ekki@plicht.de
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:34:21 +0100

Well, the technology is surely there already, and it's fascinating and also
somewhat scary...

But already, most contests do have a rule which would apply here:
(quoting from the WPX RTTY Contest 2001 rules:)

<quote>
IV. Terms of Competition (for all categories):
[...]
Transmitters and receivers must be located within
a 500 meter diameter circle or within the property
limits of the station licensee, whichever is greater.
All antennas must be physically connected by wires
to the transmitters and receivers used by the entrant.
[...]
</quote>

Ok, that still leaves some gaps, because it doesn't talk about how the
operators are to be connected to the station :-) But could be easily
extended. My guess is that we will see amended rules for contests and awards
within two years.

Nevertheless, it's fascinating. Just a remote receiver would help already -
I could check if my signal is really audible "over there", or if the
frequency is really clear there (whereever "there" is).

I already have my PTC-2 connected to the packet network as wel las to the hf
rig, so I could log in over packet and operate it with some radio control
(frequency). The professional version of the PTC-2 offers a TCP/IP stack for
LAN/WAN connections. For a limited time last year I used my pactor link to
check certain things at home while I was in an extended vacation, it's all
feasible...

But - is it still ham radio? I guess not. I like to get my hands dirty
setting up antennas and setting up the station, looking at the rig and
playing with the zillion gadgets it has (hopefully). I think there is no
replacement for sitting in front of the box and listening to the band in
real time, directly.

Maybe an internet operated receiver or rig would be a way to attract
newcomers to our hobby...

73,
Ekki, DF4OR