[RTTY] K3GP/8 SOAB BARTG RTTY Results

George K3GP k3gp@arrl.net
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:16:07 -0000

	 	QSOs	 DX:	Call Areas
80m: 		  9	  1	 6
40m:		 39	 14	12
20m:		197	 43	18
15m:		150	 37	14
10m:		272	 55	11
___________________________________
Total:	667	150	61
Continents:		       6
Total multipliers:     211

Score:		844,422

Soapbox:

(Some things I think I think):

. I sprung for a 250Hz filter between the CQWW WPX and BARTG Contests.
Boy, was that money well spent!
. When you ask for a specific item from the exchange (for example -
serial number) why do so many stations insist on sending the whole
exchange over            again - sometimes twice?
. It took me a while to discover that off-frequency stations that I
first thought were trying to take over my run frequency were actually
stations calling me! I can only wonder how many I may have missed that
were completely out of the pass band of my new filter.
. For the first time ever, my rotators interfered with clean print while
in motion. Perhaps I have a new ground loop problem?
. Is there any way in RTTYRITE to quickly translate an unshifted letter
group to the corresponding numbers? I do miss that capability from WF1B
RTTY
. Was surprised to encounter a few stations running what appeared to be
425Hz shift.
. Never did find an opening to JA like I did in RTTY WPX. What a
disappointment.
. Had tremendous noise levels on 40 and 80 most of the contest.
. Had brief periods of the worst precipitation static I have ever
experienced on 20-15-10. Thank goodness at least they were brief.
. Writelog was inconsistent in grabbing the portable designators from
some stations. I suspect it has something to do with how the call is
kept in the super check partial database. (Thanks to AA5AU for the
cleaned up version of this file - I'm sure it helped a lot in this
respect). Perhaps I'm more sensitive about this since I had to sign /8
for this contest.
. Too many times stations calling me with their space tone exactly on my
mark tone for this to be a casual coincidence - what's that all about?
. How are others handling this situation: You can't copy the serial
number from the other guy, while you see his time just fine. When you
ask for a fill to get the serial number, he changes his time! I went
with the second time stamp in each case, but then what to do when you
get the serial number in the clear on the second transmission, but the
time is garbled?

Great contest despite the minor frustrations. There are still many
gentlemen (and Ladies, too) on this mode. I hope that never changes.

333-3333
George, K3GP