[RTTY] SO5R?? Does it matter?

Carter Grabarczyk k8vt@ameritech.net
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:31:11 -0500

Phil Cooper wrote:

> In my view, SO2R has both advantages and disadvantages. The number of radios
> is immaterial if you are only working with dipoles.

Phil, I have to disagree with you on this. First of all, there is
winning and there is winning. If I have a dipole and go from one radio
to two radios, will I beat the big boys? Obviously not. But there are
smaller, "local" wins if you will, for the paper certificate, not the
big plaque. In reality, I AM using a dipole and several times have won
the 8th call district in RTTY contests, placed 9th in the country in the
RTTY Roundup and several times won Michigan in a magazine sponsored 160
CW contest. So, even though I am not competing against the big boys, I
AM competing against the guy down the street or in the next town. If all
of a sudden he starts using two radios, but I have one radio and yet we
are in the SAME category, will he beat me? I think so...

> And don't forget the limitations that might ensue if a new SO2R section is
> created! I hate the 5 or 10 minute rules enough, without additional
> limitations.

Could you please clarify. I am not sure what you mean by "limitations"
and I don't think the 5 or 10 minute rule you address above is a good
analogy. My understanding is you would operate just the way you always
do in a contest, the only difference being when the contest is over and
you are submitting your log, you just check the "1 radio" or "2 radios"
box, much as today when you would just check the high or low power box.
I don't see any "limitations".

73/Carter/K8VT