[RTTY] Parody Island DXpedition Announcement

Andrew J. O'Brien obrienaj@netsync.net
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 22:02:17 -0500

SB DX @ ARL $ARLD013-A1
ARLID013\A! DX news

ZCZC AE13
QST de W11AW
DX Bulletin 13  ARLD013-A1
>From ARRIL Headquarters
Newingtown CT  April, 2000
To all radio amateurs

SB DX ARL ARLD013-A1
ARLD0130A1 DX news

The Cyber Amateur Radio Club  (CARC) has announced it's intention to
establish what will be a first in Amateur Radio, DX-peditions to under water
reefs.  It has also announced it's intention to seek ARRL DXCC approval of
these entities claiming that the submerged status of these reefs is a
natural barrier and , as such, should not be excluded from official DX
status.

Additionally, the RSGB has been contacted with regard to the establishment
of a UW-IOTA program.  The Under-Water Islands On The Air awards program ,
according to CARC "will provide an unique opportunity for the experimental
applications of under-water radio propagation and transmission techniques"

Joining CARC in support of this new radio application , John Dreher, Staff
Astronomy,  at the SETI Institute said the CARC intent will advance studies
of interest to other non-amateur communications enthusiasts.  According to
Dreher...

"Salt water conducts electricity too well to allow radio waves to propagate
without severe losses.  Typically radio waves will only penetrate the ocean
by about a wavelength.  That's why the Navy is interested in extremely low
frequency radio transmissions: since wavelength = speed / frequency,
the corresponding wavelengths can be long enough to get penetration to
useful depths for communication with submarines.  The antennas needed are
really big, however, so this method is probably impractical for submarine
to submarine applications.  I don't see any obvious reason why radio waves
should not propagate pretty well through distilled water however.

Andrew O'Brien KB2EOQ, of the CARC said; " Since salt water propagation is
associated with severe losses, the status of the under water DXCC program,
and the UW-IOTA awards could be expected to exceed that of traditional
DXCC/IOTA awards in the DX community.".

The CARC has used it location close to Lake Erie to experiment with
under-water radio transmissions and several English stations have used the
facilities at the Institute of Fresh Water Ecology at Lake Winderemere,
Cumbria, to conduct similar research.

Mark W2MAW, assembling the HF vertical at CARC's Lake Erie  site.

Salt water reefs present the most significant challenge, and permission is
being sought to use Osprey Reef off the coast of Queensland, as the first
news under water DXCC entity.   CARC is working closely with Reef Check, and
an environmental group dedicated to the preservation of reef sites.  Reef
Check is the largest international coral reef monitoring program involving
recreational divers and marine scientists. Recently, Reef Check teams
completed the first global survey of coral reefs. Over 750 volunteer sport
divers were trained and led by 100 volunteer scientists in surveys of more
than 300 reefs in 31 countries.  The initial list of 300 reefs will be used
to determine the 100 submitted for DXCC approval.

Look for Osprey Roof soon!

NNNN
/EX