[RTTY] Mmtty--Getting started

Bill Turner w7ti@dslextreme.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 18:58:24 -0700

On Mon, 20 May 2002 11:04:34 -0500, Bill Hawkins wrote:

>I just don't like to have the mark freq set so
>high as it is difficult fo locate a weak DX signal. I can hear it pretty
>good and copy it but when I try to set it to 2125 Hz I lose it if other
>stations are around. So my questions are:
>1. Why is there a choice for the xmit mark freq if it doesn't do any good to
>change?
>2. Is there an easy to net onto the weak station at the higher freq?
>3. Why can't the mark freq be 600 to 1000Hz?
>4. Where is all this stuff explained? Is there no Mmtty manual?

Hi Bill:  Hope I can help with your questions.

1.  The best way to tune in a station is with a tuning indicator, not by
ear.  MMTTY has two; the spectrum display and the X-Y "oscilloscope"
indicator.  Either one will do the job fine, it's just a matter of
personal preference.

2.  The tones are set high so that their second harmonics will be
outside your transmitter's pass band and therefore won't be transmitted.
This holds true only if you're using AFSK of course.  If you're using
FSK this is not an issue.

3.  Read the MMTTY help files.  Everything you want to know and more is
explained there.

GL and welcome to the club!

73, Bill W7TI