[RTTY] P5 on RTTY & New AA5AU .dta RTTY file

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Sat, 25 May 2002 01:41:10 -0500

Don't know if I actually made the log until I see it on the website but
some observations about P5/4L4FN on RTTY.

He operates around 0500Z, 1200Z and 2230Z although he has been known
to work JA and EU around 0900-1000Z.

USA East Coast and Mid-West/Southeast can check longpath on the
1200Z time slot.  The 0500Z time slot is difficult for USA but that's when
I worked him on SSB.

When he called me yesterday afternoon my time (2257Z), he was off frequency
by 170 hz.  I moved him up 3 kHz because of some noise I had on his
transmit frequency and when he came back he was still 170 hz high in freq.
and I had to use my RIT to tune him in.

He seems to watch the propagation numbers or else no one hears him when
condx are bad.  When the A index dropped from 43 to 4 yesterday, I had a
very strong feeling he would be there.

Calling in the blind, despite being chided by two well known RTTY DX'ers,
did work (I hope).  He operates on or about 21081 kHz Mark FSK frequency.  If
he goes split, he tends to work up around 5 kHz or so.  He does answer
random CQ's and those calling blind.

For those using WriteLog, a couple of days ago I added P5/4L4FN and
4L4FN to my callsign database.  The only real reason I knew it was him was
because his callsign highlighted yellow in a sea of alphabet soup after I had
moved him up to 21084.

I've uploaded this new database to the website.  You can access it at
www.geocities.com/aa5au.  I had been trying to call him remotely from my
office PC controlling my home radio, but I had a feeling it wouldn't work.
Those feelings were confirmed yesterday when he called me off frequency.
Had I been "remote" I would have never known he was there.  I guess I need
to get the audio part the "remote" access working.

Ed, K4SB, has this recent database and is purging old calls per the FCC call
database.  I'll put those changes on the website when I receive them.

73 & GL!
Don AA5AU

http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.geocities.com/writelog