[RTTY] No more contesting by AA6TY

Kok Chen chen@mac.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 13:06:09 -0700

OK, folks, you won't hear AA6TY on during contests anymore.

No, it is not because of SO2R.  It is not because of Zone 17.   It is
not because scores are not published on the web.  It is not even
because I never win any contest.

If you remember, a couple of weeks ago I 'd asked whether
I get points taken off if I used AA6TY/7 and the other end did not
log the portable call correctly?

I'd also mentioned that there were no good 7-land calls available,
or I would just get a vanity callsign.

Whereupon, Ed K4SB wrote me to ask what I considered a
"good" call to be :-).

Anyway, with lots of hand-holding from K4SB, we applied for a new
call which the FCC just granted this morning (thanks for the help, Ed!)

By pure coincidence,  if you take the intersymbol spaces away, the
new call has almost the same Morse code sequence as the old call.
A single dot changed into a dash.

old call: dit dah dit dah dah dit dit dit dit dah dah dit dah dah
new call: dit dah dah dah dah dit dit dit dit dah dah dit dah dah

On diddles, it is one whole character shorter.  Don't worry,
I'll make up for it by sending 599 a few more times.

See everyone on ANARTS! (At least on Saturday, anyway.)

73
Chen, ex-AA6TY