[RTTY] A poll is a poll is a poll...

Hadi Teichmann dj2pj@t-online.de
Fri, 31 May 2002 20:33:42 +0200

Friends:

A poll is a poll is a poll....

If you ask people at random, obviously without any control over the sample etc. - and that's what the
ARRL did - you'll never obtain a representative result which could seriously be used for strategies or
decisions whatsoever. The poll we have seen is of an undemanding quality and can hardly serve more
than entertainment purposes. I cannot believe, DXpeditioners will  be as naïve as to be influenced by a
dubious result like that.

PSK31 is a great mode, no doubt, and it will make its way. Everything has been said about its technical
advantages AND disadvantages (!), and I'm deeply convinced, that it will never become the favourite
digital mode of competition-oriented DXers and contesters. PSK31 is fantastic for ragchewers and
chatterboxes,  an ideal mode for those who want to relax from the pile-ups (that's why I use it from time
to time), and - last-not least - superb for hams with restricted (mainly QRP-) equipment.  There is
absolutely no danger that PSK31 could replace or push away RTTY one day. You can take me by my
word: the two modes will be walking side by side, maybe even hand in hand, through a long future. And
DXpeditioners will be clever enough to more and more offer BOTH modes. Why not?

73 Hadi DJ2PJ OHØJWH