[RTTY] WF1B Problem...

Ekki Plicht ekki@plicht.de
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:44:21 +0000

Am Dienstag, 5. November 2002 15:15 schrieb Jerry Flanders:
> Anybody know why "slowing down" fast computers allows the WF1B program to
> work? Since the CPU is a sequential device, and never actually "gets ahead"
> of itself or the other devices in the computer, what is the actual reason
> that this so-called "slowdown" method can work?
>
> It has been used for years with old DOS games, so there is no question that
> it works, but what is happening inside the fast computer that requires it,
> and what does the "slowdown" program actually do?

Borland used a countdown routine to measure some short timing. This is done in
the screen driver unit for Turbo/Borland Pascal when the program starts, runs
only once. The resulting value is used in a division. On fast machines
(something faster than 200MHz), that result is ZERO, so a "Division by Zero"
follows. That is signalled by the Error 200, program aborts.

There are many patches and workarounds for the program author, so I hope to
get rid of this one quite easily in the new program. Goodbye Moslo and
others.
The dreaded RTE 216 is an entirely different animal, I am not sure if I can
track that down.

73,
Ekki, DF4OR (working on RTTY by WF1B - TNG)