[RTTY] Incorrect Call's

Shelby Summerville k4ww@arrl.net
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 19:00:18 -0500

This is not an opinion of the value of eQSL, but simply trying to determine
how/why, after almost every contest, I will get a eQSL request from a
station that I have worked in a contest, but I didn't have the call correct.
I send a calling station's call three (3) times during an exchange: 1) prior
to the exchange, 2) after the exchange, 3) during the "tnx qrz" entry!

XX0XXX 599 04-04 XX0XXX de K4WW
XX0XXX tnx qrz de K4WW

Surely with three (3) different chances at correcting my returning to an
incorrect call, a station would correct me before allowing me to "move on"?
I find many times that my call is sent different when a station answers my
CQ, and I re-send it twice (K4WW K4WW) before I start the exchange, which
also contains my call at the end. If/when my call is sent incorrectly,
re-sending it prior to the exchange will result it my call be returned
correctly. I realize that "marginal" band conditions will have varying
effects on "printed copy", but surely with three (3) chances, it
should/could be sent/received correctly? I even have separate buffers
established with "longer" required information contained in them, and try to
use them in those "marginal" conditions! These are not "casual" contest
stations, but ones that I work consistently in most RTTY contest's! I do not
believe in "post contest" log editing, and that is my right, but if these
eQSL's were sent within the time frame for sending logs to each contest
manager, what a nice way to "edit my log"!
C'Ya, Shelby