[RTTY] Something about the NCJ Sprint CW/SSB/RTTY Rules

Waldemar DK3VN dk3vn@nexgo.de
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 14:25:23 +0200

Hi,

with some interest I have seen, that we will have two NCJ RTTY NAQP's
next year, 2003. So I have have checked the contest periods for 2003 in
general and especially the periods of the NCJ-Contests on the NCJ Web Site
also. I have studied the NCJ Sprint CW/SSB/RTTY Rules and want to let you
know some of my comments.

Almost all contest sponsors (more than 99%) are selecting the contest
periods by the method: "1./2./3. or last FULL WEEKEND of the month ...".
To my knowledge the contest periods for the "NCJ Sprint CW/SSB/RTTY"
contests are selected by the method: "1./2./3. .. or last SUNDAY of the
month ...". Using this two different methods might create collisions between
different contests in some events. Let me give you an example, which is
of great interest for the RTTY Contesters, especially in Europe and for
the HAM's on the East Coast of North America also.

1. The next CQ/RJ WPX RTTY is 0000z - 2400z February 8-9, 2003
2. The next NCJ Sprint CW is  0000Z - 0400Z February   9, 2003
   And the rules of the Sprint are saying  "Suggested frequencies are
   around .., 7040 .. on CW;"

On the first view this should not create any big problem; but on the first
view only!!! Please have some facts in your mind ..

1. In Europe the band segment for digi modes on 40m is: 7035-7045. This
   band segment is 10 kHz wide only!!!
2. The time for QSOs between Europe and the East Coast of North America
   is 2300-0630z in Feb-2003. To my experience the BEST TIME (propagation)
   should will be approx. 0000-0400z.

At the end this means: The NCJ is suggesting the central frequency for
CW operations in the ***CENTER*** of the digi-mode-band-segment in Europe
on a date and for a time range, when we have the best propagation between
EU and NA in the CQ/RJ WPX RTTY !!! ~:)

My congratulations to the NCJ for this wise decision! It is the best
method for making friends! Grrrr .. =:-(

73 de Waldemar, DK3VN
--
Check RWRL on  http://www.qsl.net/dk3vn   mailto:dk3vn@darc.de
RWRL Mirror on http://home.arcor.de/waldemar.kebsch