[RTTY] Bugbear virus

Gil Baron gbaron@charter.net
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:47:10 -0500

It is probably a useless exercise to notify them. The viruses use the
address book so if these people were in someone lese address book it would
appear to have come form then but did not, in fact the vast majority do not
come form the people that they appear to come form. This is one of the
things that makes it so bad.

It is just a waste of time and energy to be notifying people and is almost
as bad as the virus traffic itself. It is really up to each and every user
to protect himself from viruses. If they do not do that then they deserve
whatever they get.
If you make  reasonable attempt at self protecting and are still hit , then
you deserve sympathy, if not, you don't. It does not make it right to send
the virus but all have been fairly warned these days.

The easiest and cheapest way to protect yourself is DO NOT OPEN any
attachments unless you are absolutely certain what they contain, unless you
know IN ADVANCE that they are coming , and from whom. Even then you are
safer if you have a good backup, ROXIO GOBACK is a GREAT defender of your
data but you still want a backup that is not stored on your computer..