[RTTY] Log's in RTTY

Jim Reisert jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:06:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- K4SB <hamcat@directvinternet.com> wrote:

> This is my observation on Cabrillo though
>
> 1. If the log checking software for a RTTY contest isn't smart enough
> to ignore SSB/CW, it is dumber than I thought.

Ed, I disagree.  Let's say a friend helps you submit your log because you don't
have Internet access.  Instead of mailing your log, he Emails a different
Cabrillo file from a CW or SSB contest.  The log checker has to kick it out, it
can't just assume that the person who sent it *really* meant RTTY.  In this
case, it certainly did NOT.

> 2. If the log isn't designated a checklog, Cabrillo should
> automatically change it to low power.

How can you make that assumption?  I sure can't.  I'd rather it be classified
with the high power logs, so the low-power guys don't get penalized by a guy
who turned his amp on but didn't indicate the power category in his log.
Again, I say kick the log out.

> 3. Since the Name is part of the exchange, and in an exact location,
> Cabrillo should know that the hell the proper Name is.

The Cabrillo format shows the exchange you are supposed to have sent.  If for
some unknown reason you fill in that field incorrectly, but your RTTY messages
are programmed to send what you *should* have been sending, how is the log
checking software to know?  You sent "BIGCAT" as your name, but your birth
certificate says Harold.  When you filled in the NAME field, you thought it
meant your birth-given name, not the exachange you sent.  So now your Cabrillo
log file says Harold instead of BIGCAT.  What is the log checking software
supposed to do other than score your log as 0 points because the exchange you
sent was not copied by anyone in the contest?

Cabrillo is supposed to be dumb - just a record of each exchange you sent and
received.  The log checking software should take the Cabrillo log at face
value.  It's not the responsibility of the sponsor or the software to try to
figure out what you meant, only YOU can do that.  That's why people should
check their logs before mailing them to the contest sponsor.

73 - Jim AD1C

=====
USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC