[RTTY] Reply from Brian, K6STI

Bob Boyd BobBoyd@nt1v.net
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 18:37:29 -0400

If HAL did that I swear that I would buy one of those right
immediately!!  Great idea, Chen.

=============

I also have registered copies of WF1B RTTY and STI Ritty which will not
run on my wiz-bang fast systems.  I guess, as Jon suggested, it's time
to bring that old slow system out of the closet for those two pieces of
software, and put it beside the fast system which is running WriteLog
and MMTTY - for the "second opinion" when one suffers come garbled copy.

As a life-long software developer professionally, I have argued with
some hams about software piracy.  It is one of those case where in most
cases it is a waste of energy.

Regards to all, and see you next weekend,

Bob - NT1V

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-admin@contesting.com [mailto:rtty-admin@contesting.com] On
Behalf Of Kok Chen
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2002 4:50 PM
To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Reply from Brian, K6STI

I had always thought that the best thing would have
been for someone like HAL to do a royalty-based license
of RITTY and do an embedded implementation of it
in a DSP modem.

That way, "you no buy modem, you no get to use RITTY."
Brian gets his cut, modem manufacturer gets his cut. And
those who don't want to pay to play RTTY can go use
MMTTY.

Also, there is also no hardware compatibility headache
as to what sound card works and what does not.

It could even be a proprietary piece of hardware "head"
for a soft modem, e.g., some special high dynamic range
converter with PTT and tuning meter.  Then do a special
RITTY which only talks to this relatively inexpensive head.
Again, futile for a thief to steal the software since it is useless
unless you have paid for the hardware/software bundle.

Just my two bytes.

73
Chen, W7AY