[RTTY] back again

Dick White KS0M@ktis.net
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:25:44 -0500

After ten months of problems, I think I may be back to doing rtty and
contesting again. After sending the Paragon to Ten Tec twice ( 2nd time
after it smoked and took my KAM and DSP filter with it ) I may have
everything working. In all this mess I thought I had lost my 500 and 250
filters in the Paragon. It took removing the filters and tracing all the
solder traces with a hot iron to cure that. Then the PTT would not key the
rig and I finally removed the board the RCA plugs are on and found a
hairline crack in the solder. Another hot iron fixed that. Last night I
tried my WF1B program and all was working. I will put in a small effort this
weekend in the CQ/RJ contest just to find out if in deed everything works
ok.  It will be great to be back in rtty and contesting after a very
frustrating 10 months. At 0045z on 27/09/02, with 25 watts, I worked 6J1YYD
and RZ1ZR. At 0201z I worked Francois, 6W1RT for a new one. Not a bad way to
be back in rtty.

For those with a Timewave DSP-9+ filter, you cannot get it repaired by
Timewave as the componant parts are not made any more. They said they had
run out of spare parts and could not buy more. Also, Kantronics will not
repair/service a KAM PLUS unit. However, when I called, they told me which
capacitor probably had failed when my rig smoked. Radio shack supplied that
and mine is working again.

Look for KS0M in the piles ups again...........

73....Dick   KS0M

Richard C. "Dick" White           ks0m@ktis.net
Fulton, MO. 65251-2215