[RTTY] W1ZT CQ/RJ RTTY SOABHP

George Johnson George Johnson" <w1zt@arrl.net
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:29:27 -0400

2002 CQ World-Wide RTTY DX Contest

CALL: W1ZT    05 MA
      Single OP., All Band

        QSOs Points Zones DX: States Multipliers Score
80m:      90  156    10  19  36
40m:     238  510    17  51  46
20m:     355  904    20  62  38
15m:     505 1305    22  67  41
10m:     517 1399    26  76  32
Total:  1705 4274    95 275 193  563   2406262

Station Description:  Icom 756PRO SB220
                      WriteLog + RITTY

Remarks: My best results ever and more sleep.  The bands were great and
lots of activity as noted by the wide spreads on frequencies.  It was
particularly interesting to see almost all the US guys down lower on 40m
... but lots of CW complaints also.  I worked stations below 7030 a
couple times.

I did not set up until after the contest started and did some S&P on
Friday night before calling it an early night (21 QSOs).  I ended up
getting "hooked" into the good conditions Saturday morning so decided to
make a stronger effort...  what a blast.  More people, good operating
(OK a few of the usual antics), and worldwide propagation gave everyone
good signals.  While stopping early on Saturday night, I still had
logged over 1000 stations.  If we are on the backside of the solar
cycle, give me more of this!!

When I returned after sunrise (I did get more sleep this year), 20m must
have been open all night and I was heard in Europe by 1200z on 10m.
Family commitments needed an early stop before the last hour but I had
logged more RTTY QSOs than ever from a contest at this station!

My thanks to all who joined in the fun and congratulations to all the
high scorers who stayed in the chair.

Highlights:
I tried some "blind" CQing on 10m in the afternoon for the first time in
a contest.  AH0B and KL7 appeared and made my day.  Sure saved me from
the later pile up.
Good openings to Asia and especially JA on both 15m and 20m.  Polar
flutter is always a problem for copy here but signals were strong enough
to get many in the log.  Patience and callsign repeats on both sides
helped very much.  Many of the JA stations showed great insight in
making appropriate changes in their "contest procedure".

Lowlights:
Friday night my favorite wattmeter was failing but I interpreted it as a
problem with the 40m antenna coax or the amp.  I could seem to make
contacts but the power would rapidly drop (due to heat?) as I
transmitted.  I pictured having to go up the tower at daylight to see
burned connections and make repairs.  I finally stopped and isolated it
to the wattmeter.  I operated the rest of the weekend without it but it
was uncomfortable not to have that output indicator to tell me things
were 'OK'.

George .. W1ZT