[RTTY] Omni V & FSK Conclusion

Ed edw3nr at nexband.com
Mon Apr 7 19:24:53 EDT 2003

First off, thanks to everyone that was good enough to answer and pass along
advice. Also to the ops that had to listen to my solid carrier. Now to the
"fix" for the Omni V and FSK.

Looked at the schematic several times, and kept seeing the same thing, but
it just wouldn't "click". In the Omni V the Mark/Space goes thru a 4148
silicon diode, a 10k resistor, and finally a NPN gp transistor all after the
back panel jack. Tentec specs call for no more than +/-  15 volts for
Mark/Space. TXD line nominally shows no more than +/- 10 volts. A quick call
to Tentec (thanks Paul and Eric) my thinking was correct. No interfacing is
necessary for Mark/Space, the interface is already there inside the rig !!

For PK232 users a 10k pullup resistor is needed. Easy mod, solder a 10k
resistor from the 13.8 back panel jack to the Mark/Space jack and the PK232
will work in FSK. I would do this internally as they are right together on
the back panel. This will allow either software FSK or FSK via the 232.

Again many many thanks to all concerned.....................73

Ed W3NR

---