[RTTY] GU0SUP SOABLP SPRVG test

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Sun Apr 27 18:34:37 EDT 2003

Hello all,

Well, I was going to say that conditions were poor! And I guess they were
generally, but I did work KH6ND on 15m and 20m, plus ZL2AMI on 15m, and
several VK's on 20m, so it couldn't have been that bad. The VK's were so
loud I first thought they must be IK stations, but no, they were indeed
VK's.
What was poor were the conditions to the USA from here. I only managed to
make it with a few W's, and many were much weaker than normal.
No sign of AA5AU at all, and only May WA1EHK had a consistent signal
whenever I heard her. Nick K4GMH was booming in here during our Saturday
evening, but wasn't hearing any of the EU stations that called. Still, I did
work him in the last few hours of the contest.
I saw KH6ND many times on 15m between 1730UTC and 1930UTC, and he was quite
loud at times.

Participation from the SP stations was excellent, and it was great to see
that most of the HB9 stations were sending their Canton and a serial number,
just to cater for both contests.

I did lose a few QSO's simply because stations called me in the middle of a
contact, and I was never had confirmation from the station I was trying to
work. That happened too often, and annoyed me!
And why do so many stations send GU0SUP GU0SUP GU0SUP DE AB1ABC when
calling, or even when sending a report? Given that there was quite a bit of
QSB about, it didn't pay!

Despite conditions, and a few annoyances, I managed to break the 1 million
points barrier, and this is my best ever effort for this contest. Sadly just
missed out on making 300 QSO's, but I can't complain really.

Enough of that, and here is what I managed:

Call used:    GU0SUP
Class:          SOAB

           QSOs Points     DX:     Provinces
80m:      0         0         0             0
40m:     30       155     17             5
20m:     150     897     41             16
15m:     102     705     40             7
10m:     16       150      11             0
Total:  298     1907   109            28

Continents:  6 (AS EU OC SA NA AF )
Total multipliers: 137
Score:  1567554
Station Description:  Writelog 10.40j + MMTTY 1.62
Antenna(s):  Half G5RV + Mini-beam + about 60 watts

If any of you on this reflector need a QSL card from me, please let me know,
and I will put one in the bureau system.

Very best 73 to all,
Phil GU0SUP