[RTTY] vk9xe

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 30 22:30:26 EDT 2003

It was great to see VK9XE on RTTY just about the entire day.
I was able to work them at 1212Z despite heavy pactor QRM.
They had a nice signal at that time.

The only other time I worked VK9X on RTTY was in the 1993
JARTS RTTY contest.  It was JA3JA operating as VK9XG on,
believe it or not, 40 meters.  It was my first ever VK9X on any mode.

I remember it clearly, 1014Z or 5:14 a.m. local time.  I tuned across
a tremendous JA pileup down around 7034 khz.  The JA's were very
weak, but VK9XG was fairly strong (simplex).  I thought to myself there
would be no way I'd break that JA pileup with 300 watts and a vertical.
It only took me a couple of calls and I about died when he came
back to me.  That's a very difficult path from this neck of the swamp.

The current VK9X group is scheduled to shut down on May 2.  Hope everyone
gets through that needs it.  It's rated 21st most needed entity on RTTY.

http://www.aa5au.com/rttysurvey_results.html

Sorry for the bandwidth, but just wanted to share that RTTY moment.

73, Don AA5AU