[RTTY] virus

ka3hsw at earthlink.net ka3hsw at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 9 00:13:17 EDT 2003

On 9 Aug 2003 at 0:42, k7wm wrote:

> Greetings. I have had several reports that a virus is going out with my
> e-mail. Norton shows me nothing on my machine. Is anybody else getting one
> from me..?? 73 de
> Wayne k7wm at i10net.com

Most of the viruses circulating right now "spoof"...  that is, they create an e-mail
message that appears to come from an address stolen from the address book or
HTML files in the infected computer's web cache.  The "From" address is usually
not an indicator of where the message actually originated from.  Some even steal
the text of an existing e-mail stored on the infected computer!  (I've received a
couple, supposedly from the Ashampoo Registration Team, which would indicate
that someone who has registered Ashampoo's PowerUp XP, and saved the
registration confirmation e-mail, has my e-mail address saved in their address book,
or it appears in a web page that is cached on their computer, and the virus has
stolen both the text and "From" address from that message and tried to send itself
to me)

73 de KA3HSW