[RTTY] FSK Hookup for Kenwood 2000

Jon Harder jon at praxisworks.org
Sun Aug 17 20:21:04 EDT 2003

Bill, pin 2 is correct for FSK keying, as page 95 of the TS-2000 manual
shows, but it doesn't go to the soundcard.  The soundcard is just for
receiving the audio output of the rig, from pin 3.  The computer keys the
rig in FSK. You'll need to make a one NPN transistor / resistor level
switcher to attach to your comm port of choice to do the keying under MMTTY.
Suggest you look at Don's nice page with the circuit as shown there.
http://www.rttycontesting.com

BTW, I use dual transistor switches off the same serial port, one to do FSK
and the other for PTT.  The same FSK/PTT cables I made up for my TS 570 and
later for an 870 just plugged right into the 2000.  If you need some help
with the cable construction, you can get an open ended cable with a DIN 13
connector from MFJ.  Otherwise you'll have to do the nasty job of soldering
the connector furnished by Kenwood with the rig.

73,  Jon         K1US