[RTTY] TARA RTTY Melee Questions

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 5 15:58:30 EST 2003

Had to laugh at Bill's final comment... And hard to get used to that new
call of his.

Bill's got the right answers.  I'm hoping TARA will bring more activity now
that's it's a 24 hour contest.  I got to come home early today so I'll be
there
at the start.  That's pretty important in just about every contest
regardless
of the mode.

I thought about doing TARA & 160 contest too but didn't get the 160M
constructed
or installed.

However, if I was doing the 160, I would work TARA from 0000-0500Z, then
work the
160 contest 0500-1300Z or something close to that.  Then go back to TARA
after
1300Z.  Depending on where you are, doing 160 from 0400-1200Z might be
better but
not much happens here on RTTY until 1300Z (except a little stateside and may
JA
on 40M).

If you are doing SO2R... try 20 and 15 at the start.  If there's nothing on
15,
do 20 and 40.  When 20 slows down, put that radio on 80.

During the day, if you are one radio, alternate on 10 and 15 but 15 is going
be much better especially with the numbers we have:  SFI=112, A=33, K=4.

Also check 20 during the morning and after lunch.  If 10's a washout, 15 and
20
will be your daytime hours.

If you are SO2R, keep one radio on 15 meters from sunrise to sunset at
least.

With the poor numbers, I'm toying with going high power to see if my brand
new
Dell PC will handle the RF (2.66 GHz, 1MB SDRAM, WinXP Pro).  Another new
toy!!!

73 & Good luck,
Don AA5AU