[RTTY] Re:AA5AU Score & USB/serial ports

Wes Cosand wz7i at arrl.net
Sun Dec 7 08:10:21 EST 2003

>I installed a Keyspan USB-to-Serial
>adapter (on COM4) for radio control.  I tried to install my Belkin F5U103
>USB-to-Serial adapter (it installed OK as COM5), but when I went to
>activate it, I got the blue XP screen of death.  I tried several times
>but it never worked.

So if the Belkin unit won't work with Windows XP and the other units won't
pass Baudot code, how do we go forward?

I spent at least five hours yesterday struggling to get only a couple of
the ports of a four port serial board working because of the shortage of
IRQ's.  I could easily use two or three additional ports.

With new computers with USB mice, keyboards and printers are the IRQ's that
would otherwise be used for these in a range that is available to serial
port boards?  Do people really have success with shared IRQ's for serial ports?

Wes, WZ7I