[RTTY] WPX WI0WA

Waldemar DK3VN dk3vn at nexgo.de
Sun Feb 9 21:28:22 EST 2003

W0YR at aol.com wrote:

> Shelby is EXACTLY right.
>
> I lived in Russia and Hungary for years and am active making probably 300 -
> 500 QSOs per month and in most contests.  I just am not going to spend the
> kind of money needed to answer bureau cards.
>
> I answer EVERY direct card whether it contains a $1 or IRC, but I have a
> standing instruction at the QSL bureau to throw away bureau cards.
>
> At the end of my 6 1/2 years of living overseas, my (then) QSL manager asked
> what to do with the 30,000 cards he had in boxes.   I instructed him to throw
> them away and he did.
>
> No one "owes" anyone a QSL and people who put "The final courtesy of a QSO is
> a QSL" their cards, or who expect an automatic QSL are still living in the
> days of a penny postcard.
>
> It would be cheaper to take up cigarette smoking.
>
> Mike
> W0YR

Hmm ... in those days of a penny postcard the average revenue was
a few hundred Dollars. This time is gone, that's for sure. But in
relation to the average revenue of today, the total bureau costs
are lower than in the past, that's for sure also!

If you had responded to all the cards, which you have received via
the bureau, the expenses for printing, bureau fees, postage, etc.
might be approx. 30 Dollars per month. And you worry about this
little money, really?

Our hobby is not a cheap one, especially not, if you are contesting
and want to make thousands of Q's. ~:)

Throwing away 30.000 cards is an impudence at a very high grade!
Do you believe, that all this HAM's, who worked you in a contest,
that all of them were contesters? Do you believe, that all of them,
who sent a card via the bureau, just wanted to kidding you?

The "ME-ME" folk and the niggards will never die, that's for
sure also!

BTW Mike: Best wishes to Bob, AA9DX.

73 de Waldemar, DK3VN
--
Check RWRL  on http://home.arcor.de/waldemar.kebsch
RWRL Mirror on http://www.qsl.net/dk3vn   mailto:dk3vn at darc.de
German DX Foundation #207  http://www.gdxf.de
Big antennas, high in the sky, are better than small ones, low!