[RTTY] WPX WI0WA

Dr. Wolf-E. Gruening dl6jz at t-online.de
Tue Feb 11 11:26:15 EST 2003

Hi all,

I've been a ham for more than 30 years and made about 50.000 QSO's. I made
some IOTA expeditions with some hundreds to 2.000 QSO's each. And at least I
confirmed and will confirm every QSL I get.

The german hams have got a very excellent working QSL buro, that's right.
And that makes it quite easy to handle every amount of QSL cards. For me it
is a lot less work to handle buro cards than direct cards :-).

But all hams should consider this matter of fact: QSLing is an essential
part of amateur radio!! I am sure it is not neseccary to talk about this on
this place.

That's why my oppinion is: If you plan any amateur radio activity, the QSL
handling through the buro should be an essential part of your plan! There
may be exceptions: Resident operators in areas with no QSL buro or no good
access to a buro, special expeditions to rare DXCC entities and some other.

And think about another fact: All contests don't live by the top competitors
at all. They live by the hundreds or thousands of participants who want to
make a few or a few ten QSO's to test their rig or to get nice QSL's!! If
those guys believe that the QSL response for contest QSO's will approximate
to zero then the top competitors will have a hard time during contests.

I am sure that there must be a possibility to handle buro cards in an
industrialized country with a lot of hams.

On the other side it is not o.k. to dump the whole contest log into the QSL
print queue, that's right.

73 + 55
Wolf, DL6JZ