[RTTY] Strange Cabrillo Output

John Holmes w9ily at arrl.net
Tue Feb 11 18:40:10 EST 2003

All,
Recently, a posting was made to this reflector concerning what appeared to
be incorrect formatting by the WT4I Cabrillo Converter program when the most
recent WPX file (.all) was used as the source. In investigating this rather
odd behavior by one of my favorite programs (well, both the WT4I and the
WF1B programs are my favorites!), it was suggested that I pass along to
those who are interested as to what happened and how to work around the
problem.

 The problem is not with WT4I Cabrillo Converter program, but with the
output file from WF1B. The "Received Exchange" column gathers info from both
the exchange and the "mult" prefix, which results in an invalid character
string to be considered as the "Received Exchange". While the reason for
this is not obvious, I feel that a non-readable, embedded character may have
been introduced into the final .all file output. Since the prefix multiplier
is not required, here's how I tricked the program to work.
1. Open the .all file in a text editor and place an extra space before the
word "Prefix" in the column headers.
2. Then, run the WT4I Converter program. It should work OK and separate the
exchange from the "Mult" callsign. The first letter of the "mult" callsign
will appear in an unused column by itself. I was able to duplicate the "bad"
behavior and the work around resulted in a good Cabrillo file on my PC by
doing it this way.
Good luck.

John W9ILY