[RTTY] AE5P

Army Curtis acurtis at andersoft.com
Wed Feb 12 14:23:16 EST 2003

Sorry I missed this last one, but things have been pretty busy in
Nacogdoches since February 1. The shuttle Columbia passed just a couple
of miles south of our home, and the noise here was incredible as it came
over. The house literally shook so hard my wife thought we were having
an earthquake. Our Skywarn/ARES group immediately activated, and I found
myself at our city EOC manning a radio just one hour after the accident.
We have been providing communications support for the recovery operation
ever since. This evening our Amateur Radio group will stand down, and
maybe our lives can start to get back to something resembling normal
again.

Material from the shuttle is everywhere in this area. Many thousands of
pieces have been found, many many more thousands remain to be found. We
have had a wonderful response from other hams who have come to help us,
and many others who have provided assistance from afar. The many federal
and state agencies we have assisted with communications have been
extremely complimentary in how well the Amateurs have operated, and how
helpful we have been. I am extremely proud to have been a part of this
operation.

At our command briefing this morning, a representative from NASA
addressed us, and in thanking all the various agencies and volunteer
groups who have helped with the recovery operation, remarked that they
have discovered that "this is not NASA's space program, this is
America's space program." With the interest and support from around the
world, I feel like this is Earth's space program.

Hope I can get back into some of the future RTTY tests. I certainly have
missed them.

73,

Army - AE5P
Nacogdoches, the oldest town in Texas