[RTTY] DE

John w9ily@arrl.net
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 18:56:17 -0600

I have to agree that some character or space is needed at the end of the
callsign. I know that I encountered at least 3 stations that really confused
me, in that their call was run together with other "noise". Had to listen
for several exchanges before I could sort it out. It would be much cleaner
if there were some sort of definite ending.
73,
John W9ILY

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-admin@contesting.com [mailto:rtty-admin@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Don Hill AA5AU
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 6:46 PM
To: Jerry Flanders; RTTY@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] DE

> >your callsign like DE AA5AU AA5AU K.  Not necessarily DE AA5AU DE AA5AU
K.

> Is the "K" really required here? Why?
>
> Jerry W4UK

Another excellent question and one that I've pondered.  In Roundup I did not
use
a K at the end of my CQ message or at the end of my confirmation/QRZ message
but I did but a space at the very end of those messages.  It seemed to work
out
fine.  I did put BK at the end of my exchange buffer though.

My thinking here is that sometimes when copy is not good, signal weak or
QRM,
I want something at the end to disguish that my transmission has ended.
Heck, with
MMTTY copying so good these days, sometimes it's hard to hear when a station
ends his transmission.  I don't know that a K is necessary, but something,
at least a
space is needed.

There were a couple of stations that I saw that did not end their
transmission with a
space or a K and it came out like DE AA5AURPTVIWBOESAZ.  So you can guess
what got highlighted - AA5AURPTVIWBOESAZ.

And if Jerry were to do it, it would come out DE W4UKRQBOERZELMOE or
something.
You wouldn't know if it was W4UK or W4UKR.  Actually we would all know it
was
Jerry, but maybe on a new callsign, it might cause problems.

Another good question though.  Good for discussion.

73, Don