The meaning of BK (was RE: [RTTY] DE)

Bob Wanderer aa0cy@VRINTER.NET
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:45:50 -0500

As discussed below, KN is the correct prosign to use when
you want only the station specified to respond.  K is used
when accepting a response from anyone.  BK, however, means
break and is used in lieu of signing one or both callsigns.
BK isn't equivalent to KN.

73
Bob
AA0CY

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:rtty-admin@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Jim Martin
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 3:51 AM
To: rtty
Subject: Re: [RTTY] DE

The DE certainly distinguishes your call from the rubbish
coming up on
screen.  N1MMLogger does not depend on the DE before a call
is highlighted.
This I think is great in marginal conditions.

On the subject of K at the end of transmission I think the
old CW ops were
100% right.  If I know a stations callsign  (or part of it)
and I see a K at
the end of his transmission I will then feel free to drop in
my callsign
(now with a DE at the front!).
K is an invitation to ANY station to transmit.  However if I
am looking for
my QSO partner, or specific station, to reply I will send KN
which means I
only want him to reply. (or BK)
Why change a convention that has worked for a long long
time?
73
DE   Jim   MM0BQI