[RTTY] Baudot

v31ry at ix.netcom.com v31ry at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 24 09:47:03 EST 2003

W7TI wrote:
<snip>
But I feel that dashes should not be used in the above situation.  Where
both stations are using unshift on space (USOS), having a space instead of a dash increases the odds of correct reception, especially under weak conditions.

When the space is transmitted and received, both the TX and RX are reset to the LTRS mode and a FIGS character is sent next, before the next number.  This only takes an extra 167 mS - one sixth of a second - and fixes any error due to a garbled FIGS character sent previously.

You might consider having two buffers
<snip>

 I agree with all of the above, but some of the 'big gun' stations have been using buffers with the absolute bare minimum of characters, even to the point of ending with their info/call with no space OR return.  Garble precedes and follows, with the CQ or exchange jammed in bewtween and "unclickable".  And yet combinations between the groups of info may be setup for slow sending rather than fast, which shows that understanding the mechanics of Baudot can help both ways (speed and readability).
 My suggestions were for combinations that are reasonably short, but still make for useful data on the screen of answering stations.  Second buffers with longer exchanges are a great idea!

73 - Glenn AE0Q