[RTTY] SO2R (again)

Bill Turner w7ti at dslextreme.com
Fri Jan 24 20:03:12 EST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:39:12 -0600, Mike Mellinger WA0SXV wrote:

>I will never really understand the SO2R debate.  Nor the bizarre rule
>changes that take place to try and stop it.

IMO, here's the main difference between the two classes:

With SO1R, a typical station will transmit perhaps 50% of the time and
listen 50%.  (Percentages here are approximate for purposes of
discussion.  Insert your own percentages if you don't like mine.)

But with SO2R, listening is 100% of the time, and often on multiple
bands simultaneously as well.  Nothing in the rules prevents you from
having a separate RX on each band if you want, all running all the time.

This is too great an advantage for the SO1R guys to ever be competitive.

Please don't get me wrong - I admire the multi rig guys, but I don't
think they should be in the same class as the one riggers.  It's like
racing Indy cars against the family sedan.  Sure, it would be an auto
race, but so what?

73, Bill W7TI