[RTTY] SO2R (again)

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 25 13:12:07 EST 2003

Bill,
The Indy 500 isn't a good analogy, as not everyone can compete. One
has to qualify, right?  For argument's sake, let's say I did qualify
to compete. If I expected to be competitive in the Indy 500, I would
enter the race with competitive equipment. If I was just there to
gain some experience and have fun, the family sedan works just fine.

Getting back to radio:
It was a lot of effort on my part, requiring several years of
building and fine tuning, to become competitive in the single op
category. It took lots of time and effort (and some money, too) to
build my station the way I did. That was my choice, and SO1R was your
choice, for whatever reasons. If you want to be competitive in
today's age, you have the option of building an SO2R station. But you
don't want to do that. You want to change the rules to stifle
progress and competition.

Why do 10,000 people run in the NYC Marathon? Do 9,000+ complain they
they can't compete because they didn't train in the high altitudes of
Kenya? Do they want they rules changed? No, most of them enter the
race to have fun, and/or compete against themselves.

73,
Barry, W2UP

Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up at mindspring.com