[RTTY] SO2R (again)

Carter Grabarczyk k8vt at ameritech.net
Sat Jan 25 10:25:27 EST 2003

Barry wrote:

> Getting back to radio:
> It was a lot of effort on my part, requiring several years of
> building and fine tuning, to become competitive in the single op
> category. It took lots of time and effort (and some money, too) to
> build my station the way I did. That was my choice, and SO1R was your
> choice, for whatever reasons. If you want to be competitive in
> today's age, you have the option of building an SO2R station. But you
> don't want to do that. You want to change the rules to stifle
> progress and competition.

Barry,

Respectfully, to your statement above, I say "Bunk"...

Does having a high power/low power or single op/ multi op category
"stifle progress and competition"? I think not (or at least I haven't
seen any long, on-going debate about those issues).

No one is saying not to use SO2R. No one is saying its not a
technological/operational/financial tour de force. No one is saying
don't put in the time and money and space for two stations and two
antennas. Please, do it by all means. However, just have its own
category, as is done for power and number of ops.

I really don't understand this loooong on-going thread. The SO2R boys
get real defensive and think others don't want them to do it at all.
However, all the SO1R boys are saying is, by all means do it, but have
your own category. That does not seem unreasonable.

Can someone please explain to me why we can't have an SO2R class??? I'm
sorry, but it just seems such an obvious solution...

73/Carter/K8VT

P.S.
Per your statement above, you say people "have the option of building an
SO2R station". Many people may NOT have that option. Finances and space
for more antennas are just two reasons of many that come to mind.

P.P.S.
To quote you again, "It was a lot of effort on my part, requiring
several years of
 building and fine tuning, to become competitive in the single op [2
radio?]
 category. It took lots of time and effort (and some money, too) to
 build my station the way I did."

Exactly the point! If it was NOT an advantage (like high power), why
would you go through all the trouble outlined above? (And again, no one
is saying don't have the advantage, just have a category for it).