[RTTY] SO2R (again)

Shelby Summerville k4ww at arrl.net
Sat Jan 25 12:21:22 EST 2003

Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au at bellsouth.net wrote: " I would support adding a new
SO1R class.  You could start and set your own records.  We could have an
SOAB class as we always do and then have an SO1R class (with band change
limits of course to keep everyone honest)."

This from someone who has been so adamantly opposed to any type of
restrictions to SOAB...even commented that any contest that had SOAB band
change restrictions would be a "short lived contest"? Adding SO1R is exactly
what I've been trying to get accomplished for about 3 years, and each time
it is mentioned, a discussion similar to this one erupts? The majority of
contesters, regardless of mode, are SO1R? I also fail to understand the
reasoning, especially from SO2R users, that someone, somewhere, somehow is
attempting to penalize or restrict their operation? Serious SOAB, is in
fact, SO2R? IMHO, bottom line on this issue is that contest sponsors are
listening to the "vocal minority", instead of the "silent majority", and as
long as the "majority" remains silent...nothing will change!
C'Ya, Shelby